Experience the interactive Multimedia News Release here: http://www.multivu.com/players/English/7720851-blackhawk-gift-card-exchange-survey/
The 2015 U.S. survey of more than 1,100 consumers examined gift card buying and usage behaviors, including their knowledge and acceptance of gift card exchanges—online marketplaces, mobile apps or in-store locations that allow consumers to sell gift cards receiving cash or certain gift cards as tender and/or buy gift cards at a discount.
"Our survey results show that consumer interest in adoption of gift card exchanges is on the rise, and consumers are migrating to using more transparent, established exchange sites," said
"Our survey finds that gift card exchanges are a popular new trend to get deals," Llach says.
Findings from the
- Of those with unused gift cards, 97 percent had up to 10 unused gift cards currently.
- Consumer awareness and usage of gift card exchanges is still maturing, and there is room for further adoption.
- Thirty-eight percent of consumers surveyed are aware of gift card exchanges.
- When consumers learn about gift card exchanges, 55 percent say they would use a gift card exchange site to buy or sell gift cards, and 78 percent would buy discounted gift cards for self-use.
- The majority of consumers are interested in being able to use an in-store gift card exchange, in addition to digital gift card exchanges (online or via mobile app).
- Purchasing a gift card via a gift card exchange can enhance consumers' perceptions of a brand. Furthermore, exchanges provide opportunities for shoppers to try out a new brand.
- Ninety-one percent of consumers say they would feel the same or better about the brand if they purchased their cards from a gift card exchange.
- Ninety-one percent also said they would purchase cards from retailers and merchants they already frequent. Consumers also said they would try new merchants as a result of buying the gift card through an exchange.
- The majority of consumers (91 percent) surveyed said they would prefer to use a gift card exchange versus a platform such as
Craigslistto buy and sell gift cards.
- Consumers would use gift card exchanges as a way to save money. Of the consumers who actively engage in deal-finding behaviors such as clipping coupons, seeking out sales and submitting rebates:
- Sixty-five percent would consider using a gift card exchange to buy gift cards at a discount before a major shopping occasion.
- Sixty-eight percent would use gift card exchanges as a cost-savings method to purchase gift cards for their own use at favorite stores, restaurants, etc.
- Sixty-six percent would add selling and buying gift cards from exchange sites to their regular deal-finding behaviors.
To access the full infographic detailing the gift card exchange research, click here.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/blackhawk-network-survey-reveals-how-consumers-can-get-the-most-from-gift-cards-300196043.html