PLEASANTON, Calif., April 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Blackhawk Network — a pioneer of gift cards, payments tools and rewards delivered via a robust and convenient network — today announced with partner Albertsons Companies that the grocer's shoppers have a new flexible and personal gifting option for spring and summer holidays. Category cards are gift cards that can be used where the Visa network is accepted for purchases on specific categories, and loaded in denominations between $20–$200.
Category cards come in a variety of options, including:
- Dining Everywhere™ - From fine dining to food trucks, this card gives users the freedom to indulge in a wide range of culinary delights.
- Explore Everywhere™ - Whether it's for a vacation or "stay-cation," consumers can use this card for adventures including amusement parks, ballet tickets, the race tracks and more. Redeem for entrance fees, snacks and tours, in-store or online.
- Fuel Everywhere™ - From home to work and everywhere in between, users can fuel up with this card or even purchase snacks and services.
- Home Everywhere™ - Consumers can shop for home décor, furnishings, paint and more at home improvement, interior decorating or furniture shops, in-store or online with this card.
- Movies Everywhere™ - Users can pay for tickets, concessions and movie rentals with this card. Good at national and local theaters, DVD rental kiosks and online rentals.
- Style Everywhere® - The trendsetter's best friend, this card can be used at a boutique, shoe store, and department stores, as well as online.
"Category cards offer the flexibility of a Visa gift card, with the personal touch of a retail gift card," said David Tate, senior vice president of U.S. retail, Blackhawk Network. "It's a great option for shoppers looking for a convenient, practical gift with a personal touch."
With more consumers looking to buy local, in addition to being custom to one category, category gift cards are also available for some geographic locations. For example, Safeway stores in Northern California offer a Dining Everywhere™ "Nor Cal" card.
"Our shoppers consistently look to our well-stocked Gift Card Malls for convenient gift options, especially when they are looking to save time and make the most of their occasions," said Shane Sampson, chief merchandising and marketing officer for Albertsons Companies. "Beyond convenience, our stores are known for providing shoppers with value and variety. With the number of great options available, including merchant-specific and category gift cards, our Gift Card Malls are no exception."
Gift cards remain popular options for spring and summer gifting. According to a study by Blackhawk Network on how America gives gifts1, 99 percent of shoppers surveyed purchased gifts for Mother's Day or Father's Day in 2016 — 21 percent more than winter holidays — and of those gifts, nearly 40 percent were gift cards.
Category gift cards are available now for spring and summer gift giving and can be found at Albertsons Companies stores nationwide, including Albertsons, Safeway, Vons, Pavilions, Tom Thumb, Randalls, United, Carrs, Albertsons Market, ACME, Jewel-Osco, Shaw's, Star Market, Market Street, Haggen, Eagle, Amigos, Pak 'n Save, and Super Saver. Selection may vary by store.
About Blackhawk Network
Blackhawk Network Holdings, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAWK) is a leading global stored value and payments provider, which supports the program management and distribution of gift cards, telecom products, and financial services products in retail, digital and incentive channels. Blackhawk's digital platform enables the management of stored value products, promotions, and loyalty programs across a network of digital distribution partners including retailers, financial service providers, and mobile wallets. For more information, please visit www.blackhawknetwork.com or product websites Cardpool, Gift Card Lab, Gift Card Mall, GiftCards.com and OmniCard.
1 "How America Gives Gifts" is an internet-based survey conducted by Blackhawk Network in September 2016. The sample size included 2,341 American respondents ages 18+.
The Fletcher Group
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/albertsons-companies-and-blackhawk-network-work-together-to-offer-shoppers-more-flexible-personal-gifting-options-with-category-gift-cards-300440655.html
SOURCE Blackhawk Network